Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Poinsettia Christmas Trees

Hellos crafty friends! I have been busy cranking out crinoline poinsettias for the past 2 weeks ever since the beginning of Frilly and Funkie's latest challenge 'Home For the Holidays'. Kathy wants us to deck our halls with  hand crafted holiday decor. So here I am almost at the close of the challenge with my pair of poinsettia Christmas trees.



I was inspired by this photo my sister texted me. She and her husband are growers in Missouri, and this is a shot of one of her many filled green houses. I sent her a photo of my pink poinsettia card, and she gushed over it a little. So I decided to make her a pair of trees she can set out at her annual Open House she holds for her loyal customers. If you ever need plants and are in or near Springfield,  Missouri, you might want to look her up--Hilltop Farms. They provide the prettiest and healthiest of plants year round.


I started with styrofoam cones from the craft store and covered them with lace ribbon I got at a yard sale. It really doesn't show, but I wanted it to be pretty underneath in case anyone got real close--sort of like a petticoat under a pretty dress! About a ga-zillion passes with Tim Holtz Tattered Poinsettia die and crinoline, Goosebumps Texture Spray, Picked Raspberry Distress stain, Distress inks in Crushed Olive, Mowed Lawn and Picked Raspberry, Perfect Pearl Mist,  2 weeks of pink fingers, several mornings and nights with the glue gun and 10 burnt fingers later, this is what the trees looked like (photo on right). The gold berries are from a Christmas pick I picked apart. Still lacking something.

 

  Sitting on my desk next to my photo booth was a bag of Twinkle Trim I picked up early in the season at the craft store. So after I spent time making sure there wasn't a strand of hot glue webs in sight, I added back what almost looks like hot glue webs on camera, but in real life it shimmers. By the way, an easy way to get rid of those pesky webs is with a blast from your heat gun, in case you didn't already know that. One of my duties at my step mother's florist shop when I was in college was to pick off all the webs from her's and Tessa's beautiful flower arrangements--if only I knew then!



I think the trees really pop with the black backdrop! What do you think? The green props are part of my fairly large collection of green Depression glass.


I am sharing my trees with the following challenges:
Crafty Cardmakers Challenge #179-Christmas With a Twist My Twist is non-traditional colors and non-traditional use of poinsettias.(1/16)
-Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge-Ice Inspiration The Tinsel Trim and berries are supposed to echo the sparkle of snow and ice.

Thank you for stopping by and for your lovely comments! I know you are busy this time of year, so it is even more special to me that you've visited!
Hugs and Blessings!
Sara Emily

31 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous!!! Love the idea of the poinsettia tree...
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea and so pretty and festive! How thoughtful of you to make these for your sister. I bet it took ages! But so worth it, as they are stunning! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I could not love these more!! Wow!! Sara Emily, I am totally in love with these poinsettia trees!! I love the colors and the details you added!! Even the "petticoat" lace is fabulous!! And what a beautiful picture of your sister's poinsettias!! In case you couldn't tell, I love, love these my sweet friend!! Stunning!! And I'm so borrowing this idea from you!! I'm so glad you shared them at Scrapy Land!! I hope you have a won

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wow, wow Sara, how gorgeous are these poinsettia trees!! Very clever and so very beautiful, these will look incredible adorning your Sister's Open House event. Loving your green Depression glass too, they really set the trees off beautifully! Love these!!!

    Thanks so much for joining in our Winter Magic challenge at A Vintage Journey too! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are utterly gorgeous Sara and such a brilliant idea, I'm sure your sister will love them xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my these are just beautiful! Gorgeous colour and love the extra sparkle.
    Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge X

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are gorgeous, Sara Emily! The results are so worth the time and effort you put into it! I just love the colors, like you used in your FJ week #4 tag. Your sister is so lucky and will love these. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am soooooo stealing this idea Sara Emily!! Oh my gosh, what a beautiful idea for a decor piece and the pink just makes it all the more wonderful! I love the materials you used, such a soft natural look to the way they hang. The gold berries are perfect and the angel hair is just lovely, catching the light!! The glimmer and sparkle must be brilliant in real life (so hard to capture on camera, I know!). Your friend must have just fallen over when she saw these, her open house is going to look amazing with these beauties brightening up the festivities!! Well done my friend and thanks for playing along with us at Frilly and Funkie! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow..these are gorgeous. Thanks for playing along with us at Fussy and Fancy Friday Challenge. Pat K x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The color combinations are fantastic, Sara! They could be used for other celebrations as well! Are you SURE you only had to pass the die through a ga-zillion times? Could it have been a ga-zillion ba-zillion? But the are incredible! Right down to the lacy underwear! (Giggle) hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woooooow, Sara, you have outdone even yourself with these breathtakingly beautiful poinsettia trees! How clever and brilliant! Your sister's photo is fabulous and I am really impressed! I adore your color combination and those gold berries are just perfect! Ooooooooh, these are spectacular, my sweet friend! You are such an inspiration! Lots of love to you! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sara Emily. Wow these are stunning trees and so is that poinsettia farm. Such beautiful inspiration. Thanks so much for joining in with our Christmas challenge over at Country View xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your poinsettia tree is lovely and so clever. Also, I like your green depression glass; I too have a collection of same albeit a small one. Happy Holidays! And a new year filled with crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are gorgeous. I love the variances in the colours that gives your flowers life. I can imagine how many passes you had to make (good thing crinoline is so light you can do multiple layers at one time) and how many times you had to attack your hands with soap and a scrubbie.

    This reminds me of a little tree I made back in my twenties (a zillion years ago) by covering a styrofoam cone with tons of velvet bows in different shades of green and little silver balls. I must have done a fairly decent job of it because it is still in good shape and now hangs out on my Granddaughter's dresser every Christmas.

    Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an inspired idea - these will make a fabulously original centrepiece on a table or a mantlepiece. Love those layers of soft texture and the warm pink is such an uplifting colour. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow, beautiful poinsettia trees. What a wonderful idea. Love the bits of yellow-green to offset the pink. The shimmers added the perfect touch.
    Thanks for sharing your card with us at the Fussy and Fancy Friday Challenge.
    Hugs,
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely creation! Very many thanks for sharing at Noor Design Uk and good luck with the challenge. Judy DT x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Sara Emily! Wow!! Your trees are over-the-top GORGEOUS! They are so beautifully detailed and colored, soft, and festive. I want to reach out and touch them. I had to laugh about meticulously ridding your projects of hot glue strands as I feel your pain with this-lol. Thank you so much for joining us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful way to use poinsettias! Such a gorgeous festive tree. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie and A Vintage Journey xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous work, love the pink poinsettia. Lovely project. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Cardmakers.
    Glenda
    DT

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea ! Thank you for joining us at Country View Challenges !
    Corrie x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh!-My!-Goodness! These are amazing! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow ! Amazing !
    Thanks for joining us at Scrapyland Challenge blog and Good Luck !
    Maryvonne – DT member

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my, oh my Sara - these are PERFECT for your sister. What a wonderful inspiration photo! I grew up in Springfield and my brother still goes to Hilltop Farms - small world. What a labor of love cutting all those poinsettias - you are amazing. The trees are SPLENDIDLY FABULOUS and your green depression glass is the perfect accent too. LOVE these. Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just love your tree. So special and I especially love your depression glass. I am a collector as well. Thanks for joining us at A Vintage Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi - these trees are so beautiful. Just love the colour combo! Great work.
    Thanks for joining us over at Creative Artiste this month. Hope to see you again - good luck!
    Hugs,
    Bev (DT) x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my goodness! These are lovely. I have never seen anything quite like them. Thank you so much for sharing your design with us in our "Christmas With A Twist" Challenge at Crafty Cardmakers! Please come back in the New Year for a whole year of fun challenges.
    :) Pam

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are just knocking it out of the park WOW! These are just gorgeous!! Thanks again for another wonderful entry for us to feast our eyes on. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sara these are just amazing, I'm sure that your sister will love them and they will have pride of place every year.
    Thank you for entering my Christmas with a twist challenge at CCM.
    Have a wonderful 2017, hugs Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous Poinsettia Trees! Love the colour of them. Thanks for playing along on the Southern Ridge Trading Company Blog.
    -Katelyn DT member at Southern Ridge Trading Company

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments...they mean so much to me.